I love nothing more than cooking an elaborate Thanksgiving meal with the works. That won’t be happening this year, though. The 911 center doesn’t close on holidays, so I will be working my usual 10 hour shift. It’s okay, I love holiday pay, and even though we won’t make it up north to visit the extended family, I will be home early enough to make a few dishes and join some friends for dinner.
Here’s what we’ll be making:
We’ll be the only vegetarians in attendance, so we’re bringing our own Tofurky. We like the simple roast, without the extras. It’s much better with homemade gravy.
Here’s an old picture of my homemade vegan gravy. This recipe has evolved over the years, and I might just have a few tricks up my sleeve. True story: the day Jess and I met I cooked my vegan biscuits and gravy. It’s on my list to write a recipe zine next year that includes this recipe.
Photo via Real Simple
Of course we will also need to bring meat-free stuffing. Last year we tried Real Simple’s Cheddar and Jalapeño Stuffing, and I suspect we’ll be making every year going forward. Italian bread, jalapeños, cheddar cheese, and lager beer – need I say more?
Photo via BHG
I’m dying to try this recipe for Creamy Green Beans with Crispy Shallots from Better Homes and Gardens. Due to time limitations, we’ll be going for the all-American green bean casserole from the recipe on the french fried onion can. I’m hoping we can try the crispy shallot recipe sometime over the holidays. I love a good green bean casserole. It has to be even better from scratch, right?
And of course I have to bring some pecan pie. I’ll probably be making three of these, one for work and two for Thanksgiving dinner. I’m going to try this recipe from Epicurious, although I’m omitting the orange zest. I already messed up one dessert with orange zest earlier this year.
A few Thanksgiving links
- If I had time, Lenora’s eggs would be put to use in this Smoked Cheddar Souffle
- Skip the extra jar and make Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- When we go all out we usually make “chicken” fried seitan. Instead of winging it next time I want to try C’est la Vegan’s Fried “Chicken” Fingers
- Hanksgiving: recipes inspired by the works of Tom Hanks
- The idea of a no-bake is as appealing as the flavors in this No-Bake Chocolate Pumpkin Mousse Pie
- Another spin on a classic – Pumpkin Spice Rice Crispy Treats
- Eat your cranberries in Goat Cheese Cranberry Swirl Ice Cream
- An All Pie Thanksgiving. Think classic T-day dishes in pie form.
- Look at the glorious color of these Cranberry Curd Bars with Walnut Shortbread Crust!
- Someone make me this Roasted Pumpkin Pot de Creme
- For a different pie flavor, how about Cider Custard Pie
Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving full of incredible food. Now I better get to the store before they sell out of pecans!